Load balancing configuration without shared Media folder

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I'm struggling to use combinator in a load-balanced environment without shared Media folder.
Any hints how to achieve it? For now I see two options:

1) to implement custom IStorageProvider that uses database for example; doesn't looks to be a trivial task, but perhaps there is a module that I'm not aware of, which provides such functionality;

2) to force all web servers to rebuilt local file cache, once new CombinedFileRecord is created; no idea how to achieve it in multiple webserver / app domain configuration.

I'll really appreciate any good ideas / advises or even code snippets ;)
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM
If I understand correctly the DB is shared across instances while the Media is not. This is something generally very disadvised, not just for Combinator: this means that your instances will go out of sync quickly and anything depending on the state of the Media and the DB (for example the new Media Library module) will behave unexpectedly.

So the solution is to make your Media shared somehow. Implementing a custom IStorageProvider is also a solution if you need something special but a standard shared folder should work (but you could look at what's available already, there are a couple of modules out there having a custom implementation).
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Could you please share the names of the modules that provide some custom IStorageProvider?

Regarding network share, I'd like to avoid a single point of failure in a load balanced / disaster recovery ready infrastructure.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Sorry I don't remember the names but there was one for Amazon's storage service and one for something else, probably Skydrive. Also in Orchard's Azure solution you're able to find one for Azure's blob storage.