Is Html Compression (gzip) an Option

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I don't know a lot about this part of web development, but I have read a lot about how gzip compression can be useful in decreasing load time. That is about all I know. I was just wondering if this could be a feature introduced with the Combinator module (or if anyone has a process in place for Orchard to utilize gzip)? Hope this question makes sense.
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
This could be something in Combinator but it's also a feature you can enable in IIS directly under Compression.
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Piedone, I have checked and my web host doesn't allow for IIS compression. I don't know if other web host providers do or not, too bad. Do you think it is possible to allow for compression without access to IIS? I have a feeling, from what I have read, that even if I turned it on via web.config that the server will still disallow it unless the host has enabled gzip compression. Just looking for all the ways I can to improve performance.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Oh, sorry for the late reply... I too think that gzip compression will only work if the specific module (or whatever it is) is installed and enabled in IIS.
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM
No problem Piedone, with all the excitement of Orchard 1.7, amazed that you even took the time. Thanks much and I will have to continue to optimize in other ways as it won't be an option for me with my current host.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Good luck then :-).