Minify resources - what does it do exactly?

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

With 'Minify resources' enabled one of the interactive bits on one of our pages is broken.

What does that option do exactly? If worth it, I'll try to fix it, but I need more info on 'what' it does first ;)

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It compresses the resources by removing whitespaces, comments and other texts no necessary for the browser for parsing, so the size of the resources can be smaller.

You can disable this by setting the filters for specific resources if it messes up something (see the docs about this).

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Since I'm having this issue it could be that one of my scripts has an error? Or is there any chance that the 'combining' does something bad?

Just asking ;)

Anyway, good job so far - we'll be using it :)

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Those libraries in Combinator are not bullet-proof, so sometimes even if your script is correct, minification can mess it up. Actually the library used is this: http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/ Since a new version was released from it I may update it in Combinator too shortly, it could well be that the new version will just solve the problem.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had a bug introduced by code minification? 

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I'd say bugs are highly unlikely, minification can easily cause syntax errors, but not bugs.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I've updated Yui Compressor to the latest version. Combinator's new version will also be released shortly.